Sunday, June 28, 2009

Feel like I have been grounded! Haven't been able to travel anywhere as I have been healing and attending follow up appointments from my surgery.
This whole experience has shown me that I am far from a patient person! Was told how long the healing process would be and what to expect, and it has been pretty much as described, and yet I find myself frustrated - did I expect that I would be special?! Have been living with the mantra of "4-7 weeks, 4-7 weeks, 4-7 weeks" - this is the time period that I was told it would take before I really started to see results with my vision. Trying not to get ahead of the healing and not be frustrated or feel regret for getting it done... I'm sure in a few months I will be gushing that this was the best thing I have ever done :)
Had the surgery on June 1st, follow up appointment the next day, and then 3 days later to remove the protective contacts - that was a bit of a shock as my vision went really cloudy and it felt like I had sand dumped in my eyes. Eye drops have been my friend, to keep my eyes moist and help the healing process. The cornea is loaded with nerve endings and they control the amount of tears produced to keep your eyes moist (separate from your tear ducts), and because these are damaged during the surgery, your eyes end of very dry as they heal.
For the first few weeks it took awhile to open my eyes in the morning as they were very sensitive to the light and if I opened them too quickly it felt like I had ripped cells off my eye (which I pretty much had - is this getting too graphic for some?!). So it took a 10-15 minutes and lots of drops to get them going in the AM. Usually had to rest mid day. Not sure how somebody working would go back on a computer as it was too bright and very tiring trying to read. Print is still not clear and I have to take time to write things. I use the zoom in function a lot.
Have some good days where things seem more clear, and then the next day could be worse - all par for the course I am told (ARGH!). Still can't drive a car.
Have my next appointment on July 10th, and am interested to see the changes over the next couple of weeks. Reading is still tough so am borrowing large print books from the library! Initially I was listening to audio books, and had found a fabulous site online with old radio shows - love the old mystery shows! They were perfect to keep me busy.
Got to spend one of the longest visits with my parents that I have had in years, and helped them move into their cottage for the summer. It's on Hamilton Island between Cornwall and Lancaster - with a gorgeous view west up the St. Lawrence. It's great to sit and watch storms blow in, or the sun set and turn the clouds brilliant colours. And enjoying some time at Scott's cottage in Ipperwash on Lake Huron - we often don't get up here much in the summer, so this is a treat. Love walking the beach and getting to visit with the Bergey clan. Felt a little stressed, and perhaps "guilty" that I wasn't running off to some exotic place, but moving at a slower pace for awhile and being at the cottages has been a treat, so maybe good that I have been grounded.
Hoping to head off somewhere in late July or August...

No comments:

Post a Comment